Food & Water Watch champions healthy food and clean water for all. They advocate for a democracy that improves people’s lives and protects our environment.
They are working to create a healthy future for our families and for generations to come — a world where all people have the resources they need, including wholesome food, clean water, and sustainable energy. Making this happen requires organizing people from all over the country to build a large movement with the political power to make our democratic process work. Large numbers of people are a countervailing force to corporations “buying” public policy.
In the past ten years they:
- Created the first national organization to call for an all-out ban on fracking, supporting the grassroots movement to protect our drinking water and the environment from fracking.
- Initiated the formation of leading state-based coalitions, fighting fracking and related infrastructure on the front lines in New York, California, Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Jersey, Maryland, Florida and elsewhere.
- Worked with the international water justice movement to win a resolution at the United Nations recognizing the human right to water; their affiliate Food & Water Europe successfully campaigned with allies to win support from the European Parliament to consider water as a common good and to implement the human right to water in Europe.
- Assisted many communities to organize across the country to stop the corporate takeover of their publicly owned water systems
- Defended consumers’ right to know what they’re eating by fighting for mandatory country-of-origin labeling and ensuring that technologies like food irradiation continue to be labeled
- Worked with grassroots allies in creating a national movement to label GMO foods.