The Ingredients for our wonderful Broccoli and Cheese dish
Basics for Broccoli and Cheese
6 cups fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into bite-sized florets (or substitute 6 cups frozen broccoli, thawed and warmed, and skip step 1)
Sauce for Broccoli and Cheese
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted and diced (for croutons)
If you’re looking for a way to make broccoli a little more interesting and you’re a cheese fan of any sort, you are probably going to love this recipe for Broccoli and Cheese.
Directions for Making Broccoli and Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add fresh broccoli, and cook until easily pierced with a fork, about 7–10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
- Add the Worcestershire and hot sauces, and stir.
- Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
- Sprinkle whole-wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture, and serve.